Wednesday, February 15

Mr. Dogg's Top Five

No album review yet. No concert review. (which was fun, thanks for asking) But still, I really want to put something up here, so I decided to do one of my world famous, rarely seen, always appreciated TOP FIVES!

OK, so all this really is, is a chance for me to list a bunch of songs that I enjoy like the pretentious assclown I am. But still, you guys read it, so I must be doing something right.

Anywho, this is Mr. DOGG'S TOP FIVE SINGLES OF THE LAST 20 YEARS
(Why the last 20 years you may ask? Well because the top five singles of all time requires alot more research than I am willing to put into this right now. Also because it covers the most important 20 years in music, the 20 years that I've been alive. Question answered? Good!)

5) Blind Melon - No Rain
Everyone knows about this song. Maybe you know about it from the bumblbee girl in the video, maybe you know about the lead singers struggle and eventual death from heroine, or maybe you're just a diehard Blind Melon fan. (all six of you out there) Regardless of who you are, when this song comes on, people sing along, people listen, people enjoy.

4) OutKast - Hey Ya!
Man alive, if you didn't like this song, chances are you don't have a pulse. Everyone has got an opinion about OutKast, but when this song came on, it didn't matter if you were a socer mom or a trap star, you were dancing to this catchy-as-all-hell song about shaking it like a polroid picture.

3) R.E.M - It's The End of The World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
This is the official challenge. If anyone out there (besides my friend Evan, who always impresses me) can sing to me in one try the correct lyrics to this entire song, I will crown he/she the official king of music. Faster than all hell, stream of counsiousness, and flat out fun. If the sky falls, I know I'll be playing that song on the stereo.

2) Weezer - Buddy Holly
Not only did this song launch a thousand black rimmed glasses, but it also made Happy Days cool again. You know, not to mention the fact that it helped to launch one of the best rock groups of the last 20 years, and is still played on alternative radio stations all over the county. HAPPY DAYS PEOPLE!

1) Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Cop out? Maybe. Is it the truth? Yes. I can't really say anything about this band, this album, and this song that hasn't allready been beaten into our heads by long haired flannel wearers and rock journalists for the last 15 years. It was important, really really important. But more than that, it was a good rock song that I can still listen to.

HONORABLE MENTIONS! (Either these are songs didn't fall in the 20 year category, or wern't very good singles, or just didnt make the top ten.)

Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun
Blink 182 - Dammit
Pavement - Cut Your Hair
Unwritten Law - Seein' Red
Journy - Don't Stop Believeing
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA

Problems with my list? I'd love to hear em. mrdogg45@yahoo.com

No comments: